August 28, 2007

And Then It Hit Me...

I almost DIED in 2005!

If you know me in the "real world", then you have probably heard my laparascopic cholesystectomy story.

What???

What you just read was the actual medical terminology for my gall bladder removal surgery. Cool huh?

Okay, so the story? I'll give you the cliff notes version.

After several weeks of misery (and what I thought was a heart attack), I was finally diagnosed as having gall stones and scheduled surgery. I was very excited about it, and drove myself to the surgical center that Friday morning for a 9a procedure. The doctor told me in our consultation that I would be put out, the gall bladder would be completely removed by laparascopic means, then I would likely go home the next day. In comes the anesthesiologist and she does her thing, takes my weight and asks me questions. Everything is going just fine. Then it's lights out.

Why in the hell did I wake up in the ICU?!

Because I ended up with pulmonary edema, and 'that woman' (see anesthesiologist, above) tried to kill me!!!

No, I am not being dramatic. She took my weight, but instead of using that to determine my dosage, she looked at how big I looked laying down in the bed! Have you ever seen your child sleeping and thought, "Oh, he/she looks so big"? That's pretty much what she did...and she was wrong. Almost DEAD WRONG as a matter of fact.

Because of the pulmonary edema (fluid in my lungs), I was assigned a pulmologist. Thank God! With my estimated 1 hour procedure long behind me, he couldn't figure out why it was 4 in the afternoon....and I still wasn't awake yet!!! So after demanding 'that woman' to tell him what she gave me or come back to hospital and fix it herself, he gave a shot into my IV and I was awake within 20 minutes. My mother did not share that with me until about a week later. I sat up and realized that I almost missed my baby's 1st birthday - and ALL of their birthdays from then on - and I totally LOST IT!

So, I was watching Bones this evening. Very awesome show on Fox, Tuesdays at 7p starring David Boreanz (of the "Buffy" and "Angel" series). Something happened, and the medical examiner ended up with edema due to poisoning. When I heard them say she was basically drowning, I thought about what happened to me. That's when the waterworks began anew.

In my defense, I am PMS-ing. But seriously, one simple surgery almost killed me TWO different ways???? What are the odds, really? My God loves me so!!

Thank You Heavenly Father, I know I have a purpose now!

No comments: