September 5, 2006

You know the dream where...

At 530a every morning, my alarm clock goes off. Most mornings I get up and stay up. On the weekends I get the bonus of turning it off and getting back into bed. That's always been my own little way of enjoying days off. Well this morning, I had a little wake up help. My oldest daughter, Alyssa, began talking to me almost the same time the alarm went off. First, a little background on my sleeping style. I guess in some ways I am like most moms, or so I assume. I have missed some of the most fantastic thunder storms because I was sleeping. I could probably sleep through construction...on my own home! I can even sleep through - from back in my married/co-habitating days - that gentle nudge in the middle of the night! Don't act like you don't know what I'm talking about!!!

There is however a small list of things I cannot sleep through. One would be my telephones (cell and home). I'm in customer service and attached to a headset during the day and my work-at-home job in the evening, what do you expect? The other and most important would be my children's voices, even the lightest whisper. It never ceases to amaze me how absolutely awesome God designed the human brain!!!

So, Alyssa comes in there, talking in her regular voice. "Mommy, um, I was having this dream where I thought I had to go to the bathroom but then I didn't but then I really did and so I had an accident for real." (yes, it was a run-on, just like that)

Well, I did say my alarm goes off at 530a, and I am a nightowl by nature. So, that doesn't necessarily mean I was awake per se, at the time. My reply? "Okay, go take a shower and then you can get a comforter and lay on the floor. It's too early for you to be awake." For the record, I did get up and go assess the damage, since my youngest daughter shares the bed with her. She was safely tucked in a ball at the other end of the bed, so I left her alone.

Now usually, I am a fusser. I will fuss and yell and be mad, and I'm so sure that's what my daughter expected. But, I am praying to God daily to help me get through and deal with my children in a more calm, loving tone. Well, someone's prayers were answered, and I was actually rather pleased with myself for my handling of the situation. One thing you should know is that Alyssa is almost 8 years old. The last time she peed in the bed was probably during the potty training phases. So, a) totally rare occurrence and b) who hasn't had that dream?

I remember that dream from my childhood, and ending up with wet underwear. I also remember that dream as an adult -a sober adult- and ending up with wet underwear! Once, it was so vivid, my senses were totally involved. I felt my underwear rubbing against my legs as I pulled them down. I felt the coolness of the seat as I sat down. I heard the sound of "number 1" hitting the water. I also remember feeling the warm then cool sensation of wetness too, which caused me to wake up and go into my momma's room in the wee hours of the morning.

A rather graphic reminder that : Anything the mind can conceive and believe, it can achieve!

Let's all work today to put our our divinely-crafted brains to work for the good of the world and the work of the Lord!

No comments: