February 18, 2007

Sunday's News

I didn't go to church today. Honestly I really didn't want to put my little van through the paces. She seems to be running hard lately. I know I'm on borrowed time as it is with my transmission. In case I haven't mentioned it before, my car's transmission won't shift past second gear. So I can't really go faster than 45mph. Hey, if it ain't one thing, it's another! That's life.

Anyway, I have so much to do this evening. My sister is throwing a dinner party for my brother-in-law's birthday today. Tomorrow, my friend is watching the kids at my house since they have no school. This is the friend who brings her children every morning for me to take to school. So, I have to make sure to clean my house. Otherwise, she is a clean freak, so she'd be cleaning the entire day! That makes me feel like crap. I don't need to voluntarily feel like crap. She's not being condescending or anything, she actually is trying to help. But, the difference is I can sleep with dishes in the sink or clothes out of place!

So on top of all else I need to be doing this evening -like maybe relaxing my hair, I've got to clean. I've got to do the dishes, clean the bathrooms, put all clothes away, vaccuum all floors, and make sure no papers are out place. No, my house isn't filthy, this is just preventative.

So anyway, I probably have never talked about her children. She has a boy and a girl. Girl is 12 and boy is 5. The girl is going through the usual preteen stuff, except for the fact that she is failing terribly in school. Her mother is basically to the point of giving up, and has told her and all who will listen so. Unfortunately, I have discovered, as sweet as she (the mother) is, her coping skills are failing her. She is too medicated, yet still incredibly stressed out. She is in denial about the youngest. He is in kindergarten, and has been problematic since day one. Now, his teacher is to blame for part of it, but not as much as she wants to believe. My opinion? He is ADHD, no doubt. I'm not a medication person, since I know how strong Ritalin is. I know she would never go for that. But considering we are three-quarters into the school year, and he is still in trouble almost daily, something needs to happen. This is not just my opinion either. The school has already made mention more than once, and countless others have thought it as well.

I found out through another friend that ADHD can sometimes be managed with diet, especially restricting carbs. I did some online research on it, and thought I would share the info with her. No, I wasn't that blatant! Honestly I think my daughter is ADHD (ie the title Space Cadet), and so am I. That was my angle to introduce the subject, to see if she would show any interest. You could have heard a needle drop on carpet! So, I'm done discussing it with her. From now on, I will listen only. I will listen to her complain about how the teacher is picking on him or just being unfair. I will listen to her yell at him almost constantly, but then get mad at her mother if she yells at him. I will continue to be exhausted every morning by then time I drop them off at school. Yes, even to the woman with four children, this little boy is exhausting. But I will not bring it up again.

I will work on me and mine. The Space Cadet and Space Captain (that's me) will try to restrict our carbohydrate intake to see if that helps our focus. I will help those that want to be helped that I can control. I want my daughter to keep her grades as high as they are and be more social. I want to better maximize my time and get my business up and running. So, while I will still occasionally talk about my mostly imaginary "dating game", for the most part my focus will be back on taking care of me and my family, and doing all to insuring our future.

You'll see...

No comments: