February 1, 2009

Life in Full View

Boy has it been a week! The BFF has been going through hell with this guy. She's not still with him or trying to be with him (thank God), but it's just the fallout after the bomb that's going on right now. So still most of our conversations have been focused on her, and occasionally I get a word in edgewise. I had to take a hard look though and realize this is probably what it was like for her when I was the one going through all the mess! So that helped me get back to a point of understanding and being the much-needed listening ear for her. I mean, thankfully, I have other people to talk to about the day-to-day stuff, even when it's kinda major!

Speaking of major... I learned last week that a very good friend of mine found out he was HIV positive. It's my friend Cody...who I talk to daily...and who I also was involved with right after I moved in 2007 (but a while before Dante came on the physical scene). So naturally when he shared this with me, I was in a state of panic, because I couldn't remember the last time I had a test done! I know that he had to get tested every 6 months to be able to participate in this minor league wrestling organization. I knew that for all of 2008 and all of 2007 he was negative. Deep down, I knew that I was probably safe. But still...you know?

I called Wayne and totally freaked out. I didn't want to call the BFF while she was at a client on-site. I didn't want to bother Dante with my neurotics while he was working either. The plan was to go get tested the next day, but I wasn't looking forward to the waiting process. Then I found out from Cody about this thing called OraQuick, that has test results in 20 minutes. I found a place in St. Louis that did it for free and planned to go the next day. But, there were the snow days that kept the kids home for 2 days straight, so I had to wait til Thursday. I am negative, which by testing day I was no longer worried that I was anything but negative. So, since then I have been trying to help him deal with it. He told his girlfriend of almost a year on Friday, she tested negative that day, but she also told him that she is cutting off all contact with him. They have been up and down, back and forth for quite a while now. So it's not a big surprise to either of us that it ended this way. That doesn't make it hurt less though.

No comments: