November 6, 2006

Alyssa's Birthday Weekend

So Alyssa turned 8 on Nov 2. But since that was a Thursday, we waited until the weekend to really celebrate. On her actual birthday, they had McDonald's and I gave her gifts to her. Nothing fancy, just some girlie stuff. Lip gloss (Bratz), bangle bracelets and a Tinkerbell purse. The purse is actually for grownups, which is even better. It's girlie, but "hip" at the same time.

Saturday, we did absolutely nothing all day. Laundry for the most part. I washed and dried Kyla's hair. I worked with Chandler on the potty training thing. I must proudly say that he officially has 'Number 2' all figured out! If we just get him tuned in to 'Number 1'...

Sunday was the Build-A-Bear day. We didn't do a party there. My kids will have (semi) big deal parties every other year. Since Kyla's birthday is the 10th, I decided I would just let both of them pick out their bears as a birthday present. It wasn't supposed to be that big of a burden for me since Alyssa's father (aka Can't Get Right, aka The One) was supposed to meet me there and pay for Alyssa's. Low and behold, they are just picking out animals and here he is calling. "I am so sorry. We are in a meeting downtown and I just can't get away. Blah, blah, blah. I am so sorry. Blah, blah, blah. I WILL pay you back." Really, I swear I heard the blah,blah,blah part. He'll hide in a corner for awhile and then he'll surface. He's licking his wounds, thinking I'm mad at him. I know him too well to be mad.

Of course I didn't tell Alyssa he was supposed to be there! What? Is this the first time something like this has happened with my kids? Um, no.

Trust me, all you other solo mommies out there, take note to this trick. NEVER tell your children their father (notice I didn't say dad, those guys are a whole different breed -- sighing wistfully) is going to do ANYTHING. EVER. If it happens or they show up, let it be a wonderful surprise. Otherwise, protect your child from unnecessary heartbreak.

I was one of those kids.

Anyway, Alyssa picked a cool fuzzy pink bear and named her Alison. Kyla picked Hello Kitty and named her Hello Kitty Bear. She's almost 4, what do you expect? We've already worked out nicknames like 'Kitty' and 'KittyBear'.

They each got one outfit and shoes. Both of the animals are wearing skirts with no undies; because I don't pay $3.50 a pair for my own!!!! Maybe next trip we'll make them a respectable "cubbette" and kitten. I bought the boys a little already stuffed dog. A palm-sized Malamute! I couldn't not get them anything! After we left there, I had to go sit down on a bench, since I had become a little lightheaded. Why, you ask?

Trip to Build-A-Bear's Flagship Store at St. Louis Galleria: $102.00
Feeding a Family of Five off the Burger King Dollar Menu: $8.00
Seeing the joy that I brought to my children's faces: PRICELESS

Then, after a cake run to Sam's and some home-cleaning, everyone came over for hot dogs, cake and ice cream! Simple, yes. It's all about family. That's what I've learned.

No comments: