September 10, 2007

Where Were You?

Where were you when it happened?

I was at work, working for the phone company. Our building was right across from a federal building. I remember because they got evacuated!

We didn't have access to look at the news at our desks. SO our manager came out to say a little plane hit a building in New York. Then, the reports starting coming in more accurately that it was a large plane and it wasn't an accident. Just as we were wrapping our brain around that, the second tower was hit.

I watched what I could on my break, but they were strict on their 15minutes, and not much happened. But my God in Heaven, when he came in and told us the first tower and fallen....and then the second....I just couldn't think straight.

Then came the Pentagon. Then came the plane is Pennsylvania. DJ and Starr were very young at the time, both less than 4. I went on with the rest of my day and then that evening, after I had then settled into bed, I turned on the news channels.

I never saw the footage they were showing early in the day of people leaping out the windows of the Towers to avoid the extreme heat and fire. But what I did see were those building crashing down. What I did "see" was how many people were in those buildings. The empath in me had a major sensory overload and I bawled my eyes out.

After that day, I learned as much as I could about the aftermath of that day over the next few weeks. Then the stories started dying down. But then, the major affiliate local stations started doing their end-of-the-year news recap.

I was fine until I saw the Towers fall again. By that time, I knew so much more than when I first saw the over-repeated footage. The floodgates were open, and every emotion I had was wrapped up into one. Sadness, sympathy, confusion, anger, hatred, love all at the same time.

Since then, I have watched just about every documentary made regarding that day. In addition, both of the United Flight 93-based movies have I seen. I mustered up the strength to watch World Trade Center. I didn't do so well with the "93" movies, but I HAD to watch.

So the question today, on this sadly momentous occasion is:

Where Were You?

God Bless America, and America......Bless God (He is all we have)!!!!!!!!

No comments: