October 15, 2006

My Friday the 13th

I'm always in a good mood on Friday the 13th. Why? Because I grew up to my mom saying this so I started thinking that way too. What? "My luck is usually bad all the time, so Friday the 13th is usually the opposite of what it does for everybody else!" This year was no different.

Friday night after I left work and picked up the kids at my sister's house, we went to a co-worker's church for a workshop on intercessory prayer. The people were very nice and the workshop was very informative. I definitely plan to take that knowledge to help me with my prayer life -which is in need of enhancement.

It was after the workshop that was a little, well 'different'. A part of me wants to say 'creepy', but that's the world talking. There was a lady who had an obvious hunger for the word of God. She gave her testimony (cliff note version of her life) and how comfortable and different she has felt since she began attending the church a few weeks ago. She was very interested in speaking in tongues, which was something the intercessors talked about frequently in their workshop. Speaking in tongues is when one prays in another language that is not their native tongue. They have relinquished their body and mind to the full power of the Holy Spirit within them, so it isn't even a language they understand. The Holy Spirit is God within us, so the prayer will be perfect -as God is- and not marred by the thoughts of the flesh (which are our natural inclination).

Okay so back to the story. The pastor began to talk to her and then laid hands on her. She began to moan and wail, and fell to the floor and began to writhe and wail as if in pain. He began to coach her as would a labor coach for the birthing of a child. She began to praise God continuously with the single word "Hallelujah!" over and over, until it became a stutter. Then slowly she began to recover, and the intercessors helped her to her feet and back to her chair. He then explained to her that what she was going through was sort of a birthing process. Now, what was weird to me (yes, besides that) was while she was "in labor" on the floor, the rest of the people in there were speaking in tongues. There were about 15 people in total. I truly didn't know what to think or do. So I sat very still and just kind of watched, trying not to look terrified that he was going to start with me next! Whew, he didn't!! Honestly I wasn't comfortable, and I needed time to process what I had seen. Firstly, I have never witnessed a person speak in tongues before, so to see a small room full of people do it was overwhelming. Second, the whole "labor and delivery" took me aback....waayy back! What was great was that they were a very welcoming and hospitable group of people. They invited me back, as you are supposed to do when a guest visits your church. But there was no "Come. Join us" (with my best zombie voice) kind of vibe at all. That's what quelled my spirit when my flesh was saying "cult". I am glad I was invited and more than glad that I went. I can't wait to read my notes. That's another thing I enjoyed, as with any spiritual teaching. I don't want to hear someone's opinion, I want you to back up what you say with scripture I can see for myself. Almost every major point from each intercessor was based in scripture. When you are seeking a church home, or the seeking the Word of God from an unknown (to you) source, make sure it's being backed up with chapter and verse from the Bible!

I do plan to go back and visit at least once more. That would be during a regular Sunday worship service. My church is so reserved when it comes to worship, that it would be nice to see some people who can really "Get their Praise On!"

No comments: