October 25, 2006

Solo Mommy's Sick Day

I had to leave work early yesterday. It started out an okay day. I thought I was on the right track with the weight issue by drinking a SlimFast shake in the morning. Well, by the time I got to work at 930a, I wasn’t feeling the best. I hadn’t eaten or drank anything the night before. By 1030a, I was actually running to the bathroom! Of course when I got there into the stall, the sensation was gone. But smart girl I am, I waited!! It only took 2 minutes for the torrent to begin.
I am not a total germophobe, but I am also NOT kneeling over a public bathroom toilet either! So after the deed was done, my back was hurting immensely to due the wrenching of dry-heaves at a bending-over-at-the-waist position. Yeah, not-so-good. But I felt better afterwards…for a little while.

Within a half hour, things were not so great. My body began aching from the neck down. Like hurting to the touch aching. I was freezing, f-r-e-e-z-i-n-g cold. Finally I departed work at about 135P. A trooper, I know, so brave!

I got home and gingerly changed into some sweats and a shirt, then wrapped up in my comforter and passed out. I could have very easily slept all day…if I was a guy. But hey, the title of this blog explains it doesn’t it? Solo mommy!? Instead, I regained consciousness between 4p-415 and dragged myself back into my clothes to pickup the kids. I wanted to make sure my oldest sister hadn’t come across town to pick up my oldest two –as is her daily routine- since I was right there. I also picked up my youngest at daycare, got my neice from her friend’s house where she goes after school and then headed to “the middle child’s” (my other sister) house for her birthday. I didn’t want to miss it and I didn’t want the kids to miss it.

I stayed on the couch the whole time –maybe 2 hours- and was able to follow along with most of the conversation in the adjacent dining room. The Bruzer came over and was trying to talk to me with hot dog in his mouth and Holy Moses! How do you shoo away a little kid who’s just trying to be nice to his mommy while trying not to blow chunks at the same time?! You hold your breath, smile, and say ‘Go back to the table and finish eating sweetie’ while silently thanking the Lord for your lung capacity! I did manage to drink a kid-size mandarin orange juice, bringing my daily food intake to water, 2 snack cups of applesauce and that juice. Surely I lost a pound or two, right?

I made it home, thank goodness they had already eaten hot dogs so I didn’t have to deal with dinner. The oldest two can handle their own showers and well, the youngest two were dirty for an extra day! I cancelled my shift for the WAH gig, and slithered back into bed by 930p.

The next morning, there was no more hurt-to-the-touch body aches, but I did have a headache from an abnormal amount of sleep. I’m used to 5-6 hours max, anything over 7 or 8 and I’m almost useless. I was still pretty groggy so –bad mommy- I didn’t get the kids to school until almost 9 –bad mommy- this morning!

Hey, even supermoms have an “off” day!

No comments: