April 27, 2007

Why I keep the same friends...

Making new friends is a very difficult thing to do. Which is why I don’t usually do it. There is always something that is never right or never good enough. When mistakes are made, it seems to be the end of the world. Or the end of the friendship.

That pretty much explains why I keep the same old friends. I know them, they know me. We disagree, we agree to disagree, and we forgive and move on. New friends are not like that, perhaps because not enough has been weathered yet to really cement those bonds of friendship. New friends do not choose to see you for the person you truly are, in all your flaws, and still accept you. The newness hasn’t worn off yet and so everything is supposed to be perfect.

Perhaps with certain new friends, things don’t always have to be so difficult. Take the Kween for example. She is a new friend, and there are plenty of things we don’t agree on. But I already know that that’s the way she is and she’s not going to be anyone different. She knows the same about me. Yet, we still maintain that we are friends. Perhaps the key to new friends is to keep them in a certain place until they can move to that next deepest level. That way, if things don’t work out, you are not so emotionally involved.

That’s good advice. The loss of my newest friend the Commander has shown me that that is the case. Once again, for anybody that may be confused, I acknowledge my part of fault in that situation. But I also know I am a forgiving person, sometimes to a fault, and have to remember everyone isn’t like me. Truly, I thought he’d be mad and even hurt for a minute, but then we would continue on. Apparently I was overly positive, yet another fault. The other lesson I learned in all of this was, everyone has a place in your life and you should keep everyone in their correct place.

No comments: