April 1, 2007

Family Time on the Weekend

Last night was my sister' Leigh's birthday party/teacher celebration party.

Teacher celebration party? Yes. My sister's dream was to be a teacher, eventually opening up her own school. She went to school and got her Bachelor's while working full time for the state. Not very much support from her husband during this time either. Ok well, not-very-much as in downright sabotage to be honest! Then it was time, as all teachers-to-be are required, to do her unpaid internship. So she left her full-time job in administration for the Illinois Department of Corrections to do her semester (or two) internship at a school in St. Louis. That went fine, but then it was time to take her teacher certification test. You cannot become a teacher in Illinois or Missouri without taking and passing that state's test. My poor sister just couldn't pass it for some reason. She took the test over 7 times in a matter of a few years. Mind you, it is not that cheap, like $150 per try, but she never gave up. When she was ridiculed by her husband, and the doubt and fear started to creep in her own mind, she never gave up. She took a couple of menial jobs over time, making far less than what she was used to, just to have some income coming into the house. She even watched my kids and our other sister's (Officer Jan) kids for me one summer while the state program I belong to paid her (and I paid a little extra).
Then finally her faith and perserverance paid off! She passed the test!!! Then found out how she could get some kind of something to qualify her in both states! She went to East St. Louis School District 189 and interviewed, but the one didn't go so well. Then - God is awesome- she saw one of our very genuine and completely on fire for God church members who inquired why she was there. She told him, and he told her don't even worry about it, he'd make sure she got the job. He put in a good word, and that was that! So, she's been in the classroom this entire school year as like a co-teacher, but not a teacher's aide. Next year, I believe she is already set to have her own classroom! Yay for her!!! We are so proud of her for never giving up on her dream, when faced with so much opposition!

Our friend/sister Ann and her two kids came. She is doing much better. She is back at work now, and the she told me that her oldest daughter is doing very well in school. That everything that happened didn't really affect her grades. I was pleased to hear that. My mom was there. Ann's oldest sister and a friend of theirs came also. Ann's older sister Jules had already burst the 4-0 bubble in January, then Leigh was next. We had cake and cupcakes from Sam's (great buttercream icing!), Officer Jan barbecued various kinds of meats, I made sides and bought the ice cream. We had a great spread! Later, our younger sister (by their dad, not mine, but we were raised as siblings anyway) and her boyfriend and 3 girls came. So it was a great family affair!

Apparently, I had complained (or so I was told) about the New Guy being too busy for me all of a sudden. Look, I warned him I was high-maintenance when it comes to relationships! Well, he had a minister's training session about an hour and a half away, which he got of at 330p instead of 4p. He called me on the highway and asked if it was okay if he came to my sister's house. He did, I directed him to Officer Jan's house on Main Street in Belleville. He got to meet everyone. I was very happy to have him there, he fits right in. He did miss the "bat-signal" to retreat in the kitchen with the other two men! They told him to keep an eye out next time! I told you there is pretty much all women in my family.

So, things are moving along I suppose. I still feel some apprehension, just because of what happened before. It'll take me some time to get past that, I know, and I've told him so as well. But, I think we have a shot. I can at least say that.

No comments: