February 23, 2008

I Am SO OVER Winter!!

School was cancelled for my older 2 children on Thursday, with the WonderTwins' daycare closing at 3p. Then, on Friday everyone's school was cancelled! Good thing Leigh is a teacher!
You know I don't have the kind of job that allows me to take of for something like that. Though one person did call in on Friday because their childrens' daycare was closed...and mind you this was not a single parent!

So why were all the schools closed you ask? More of that glorious midwest weather, of course! On Thursday, it basically iced and sleeted all day. Before the morning commute, during the workday, and on the way home too! Then again overnight! Then that same storm started moving east so, by Friday, work was a nightmare due to all the flight cancellations in the major East Coast airports (ie, New York and Boston). We made it though!

This week was really rather quiet I would say. Nothing major on any fronts to report. I am seriously considering getting a pair of cats. They are sisters (I am partial to siblings, ie Cheyenne and Cherokee). They are medium-haired, tortoise-colored girls with some of the cutest kitty faces! Yes, I really do see facial features! Because they are so big and jet black, most people have trouble telling Cheyenne and Cherokee apart. (In case I never said it, Cheyenne and Cherokee are brother and sister kitties that my mom and I picked out as kittens back when we lived in Springfield (circa 1993). They are still alive and well living with mom. They are so gorgeous, and they usually scare the crap out of people because they are SO big...not fat, BIG!) I have been looking at many pictures of cats recently, and when I saw these girls my heart melted! It is a big commitment though. But I will check with my landlords tomorrow to see if they mind. They had both a cat and a dog when they lived here, but we'll see how that goes. It is a big, lifelong commitment, and I just want to make sure I am up for it since I will be doing all the work. I just always wanted my kids to grow up with pets like I did.

Speaking of, kids are doing good. Starr has been very diligently presenting her homework daily now. Her teacher - in dire frustration - let me know she would start reducing Starr's academic grades due to her constantly turning in late homework (if at all). I threatened her at the beginning of the year after the parent-teacher conference that if she brought home any Bs due to not turning in homework, she would literally have hell to pay for it! But, slacker mom hasn't been enforcing it. I've been trying to lighten up on them, since I am usually so harsh. Yeah well, back to Plan A. I notified Starr that the threat was a promise, and it was being strictly enforced - zero tolerance. I advised her everytime she doesn't turn in homework, she'll be writing lines (minimum 100), PLUS no toys, TV, or playtime.

Like I said...She's been doing great with homework thusfar!

I have also had to become more of my 'Mean Mommy' alter-ego to get Bruzer back in line. It's a work in progress, but trust me...I will prevail! As I told all four of them, I have been yelling and screaming and fussing and carrying on for far too long now. All I have gotten out of it is hoarse so many times that my vocal chords ain't what they used to be! Yet, I still sound like a broken record, because I am saying the same things over and over again. No Mas, mi bambinos! The new rule is I will say it once, then the belt will continue the conversation...Period.

Oh yes! In case you ever doubted, I firmly believe in kicking my child's butt when necessary! Parenthood is NOT for punks! It's a simple equation: You run them...or they run you! Look around the grocery store or Wal-Mart or Target, you'll see what I mean. Next time you go out to eat, check out the kids in the restaurant. You can pretty much always tell who believes in corporal punishment and who wants to reason with a two-year-old!! When you see an 8 or 9 year old kid throwing a tantrum in a public place, you can bet your candy ass (The Rock!) there's a "Time Out" or "Wait Til Your Father Gets Home" parent nearby! Screw the "experts" and the parenting books that try to get you to be your child's "friend"! Bull!!! Teach them consequences at an early age, make the punishment fit the crime, and (most importantly) make sure they are scared as all get-out of YOU!!! Give them the fear of God, and the fear of you too!

You doubt my wisdom?? There were MANY things I could have done but didn't do growing up for one simple reason: I was afraid of what my mother would do if she found out! Pretty much everyone I talk to in my age group or older can say the same thing. And if I may speak for the masses of us GENERALLY of course...We didn't turn out so bad did we?

No comments: