February 16, 2008

My Valentine Surprise!

Today was a welcome surprise! I knew Dante was on the road today, driving back from NC to Memphis. So we talked a few times back and forth. The boys kept him out all last night, since he wouldn't be back that way for a long time - or ever. So, he wasn't feeling too great that morning.
Thank goodness he wasn't in a rush, so he took something for his headache (read:hangover), and kind of relaxed for a bit before hitting the road.

He sends me a text message later that said: "I got tickets. You get the movie, cool?"

All I saw was the I got tickets, and assumed he got a speeding ticket. I mean, he was driving!

Well, what he was actually trying to say was he was coming home instead of going to Memphis! I was so excited, I got all hot and flustered. I actually broke out into a sweat! I had to go outside into the 30 degree weather the cool off!! So we planned to go to Lotta Watta Creek. He said he has heard about it but never tried it. So that was that. He told me he was going to just surprise me and show up in town, but he knew I needed a little advance notice for babysitting purposes. Very considerate, I know, isn't he???

So, I tried working some more and it was just about time to leave. He sent me a message asking if I was still working. I told him I was but I was off the phones for the day doing followup work, and he could call if he wanted to. To which he replied: "Gimme 10 minutes."

A few minutes later, a lady from across the hall comes in asking for me. I look up to see am exquisite bud vase with a 3-rose arrangement in it! She said a man asked her to give them to me outside. At first I thought it may have been him, but the timeline wasn't matching. It was a really nice card that said, 'I always like to surprise you with something on your special day.' Remember the card he dropped off at my job, even though he had just seen me 5 minutes before at the show??

He called and could just hear the ear-to-ear grin in my voice! I was grinning and blushing and just all warm and fuzzy inside! What a sweet thing to do. And he was well-pleased at my reaction, too! At one point he told me to "stop cheesing" to which I replied "I will not under any circumstances!" Then I heard the grin in his voice!

Since I am off work on Monday, I took them home with me. I even cleaned off my kitchen table to proudly display what my sweetie did!! No, it wasn't a dozen, but I am truly a "it's the thought that counts" girl. He didn't have to do anything! He hasn't had the best week, and he was hundreds upon hundreds of miles away. He could have just said Happy Valentine's Day and that was that. It's the "above and beyond" that I appreciate. I am truly grateful, and my V-Day was AWESOME!!

No comments: