February 11, 2008

Winter is STILL Here

Wow, what a day!!!

Had a car accident today. Could've been really bad, but God was truly protecting me and my van. It was sleeting today off and on, but it wasn't a wet and rainy kind of sleet like we are used to. It was more dry and snow like, literally blowing around on the road. I had to go to the bank to get money for my mom (making good on my part of the deal with her buying my van). On the way back, all was well. I wasn't speeding. I was driving normally and pretty defensively I thought. I was on the phone with my sweetie since he was driving to NC from Memphis.

No, I wasn't distracted. No, I wasn't dialing numbers ot texting, or anything like that. Yes, BOTH hands were on the wheel, my phone was resting between my head and my shoulder.

All of a sudden, the car began swerving as I was going up the exit ramp. I began braking slowly and trying to steer out of the fishtail that was starting to occur. But, I had no traction, everything I did was futile. I honestly can't imagine what was going through his mind as he had to listen to me screaming at the top of my lungs while I was spinning!

That's right, I said spinning! As in 360 degrees, this-is-not-the-magic-saucer-ride-at-Disney spinning! I think I did two before I finally left the road and was heading into the grassy embankment area. Part of that is really steep, so with the type of momentum my van was in I could have easily rolled over down that embankment! It was all grass, no concrete or anything like that. (trying not to be TOO dramatic....for once) I did stop not too far off the road. All I could think about was getting out of there. Once the car stopped and I was completely ok, I wanted my van to be okay, I was ready to get back to work. But, I was stuck...for a couple of minutes at most. I got out and looked at my van, all was well except for the license plate in the front was bent!

I alternated between drive and park, until I felt her gaining traction. Then we slowly creeped back up to the road. Just then, I saw another truck swerve totally off into the embankment on the other side! Something inside of me told me not to leave them, and I listened. So I got my van safely onto the actual road and pulled over to the right side well out of traffic's way. I made sure no cars were coming (and therefore swerving) before I got out to walk towards the SUV.

"We interrupt this blog to bring you the tragic story of a good samaritan struck and killed by an out of control vehicle on the icy roads today. The single mother of 4 young children had stopped to help another traveler who lost control of their vehicle just moments before."

NOT TRYING TO BE ON THE NEWS THAT WAY!!

Back to the story, and making it shorter, the other person turned out to be a coworker at my job! What were the odds of that really?? We in different departments, so we rarely see each other or really know each other. I didn't even know her name! We couldn't get her unstuck, so I called my manager to let him know what happened, and he walked over to her manager to go out and help her! Then I called my sweetie back to let him know all was well and I talked to him all the way til I got to my desk. He was definitely worried, and I know that was a very helpless feeling. I sent him a text later that said: "And here I was worrying about YOU driving!!"

How about that for a happy ending?? Oh, but one more thing:

Thank You Lord for Protecting me yet again! You are the One who will never fail me, nor disappoint me! If You bring tears to my eyes, they are surely for joy (as they were today)! I am unworthy but eternally grateful, and I thank You daily for Your mercy and grace!! Because of You Lord....I am still here!

No comments: