February 1, 2008

Today is the Day

Well, it snowed pretty good here. I am glad I took the day off for sure!

I got out there this morning and shoveled the back walk area so me and my neighbors could both get to the basement. If you remember, my basement is accessible only through an outside door. It's not as bad as you may think, even in this weather I don't even wear a coat to down there. Then a little later, my neighbor and her oldest son shoveled the front walkway.

I started my laundry, since I am down to no underwear! Yeah, I said it! I'm wearing the last pair right now!! But I tell this much, my kids have clean underwear in their drawers...and that's where my first priority lies! I then went and shoveled around the van and cleaned her (my van) off. I still need to get the fuel system cleaned before I get on the road.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that! I went to the doctor the other day because my throat was so bad, I couldn't eat or drink cause it hurt to swallow. Of course the next day it was feeling better - and I hadn't even got the meds yet!!! TOLD YOU SO!!!!

After the doctor appointment, I went to Valvoline and got my oil changed since I had an awesome $15 off coupon! I got the high-mileage synthetic blend, which means I can go 4000 miles. She does have 119,000 miles on her, and I plan to keep her for another couple of years, so I gotta take care of her! I was worried but fuel efficiency was lagging and so was her get-up-and-go, thought it was time for a tune-up (which are not cheap). Turns out, according to very helpful and hands-on (the van, of course) guy at Valvoline, I need my fuel system cleaned. He showed it to me and explained it to me. He even asked me, if my van was having a bit of hesitation going up hills and stuff...so I don't feel like I'm getting hosed! That's about $75, as opposed to near $200 for a BASIC tune-up. I told my mom about it, and she said she was going to go check them out before she spends almost $400 on a tuneup for her '97 Chrysler Town and Country! I pray that works for her also.

So, I am getting the kids ready while my clothes are washing and drying. Then I'm gonna jump in the shower and also wash my hair while I'm in there. It's going on one o'clock now, and I would like to be on the road by about 4 or 5 this afternoon. My bff told me this morning that she has a 'bad feeling' about me going, and she just wanted to go on record as saying such. My family has been freaking out because of the weather and telling me of course maybe I should postpone and all that. But, that's why I am waiting, cause I want there to be plenty of time for them to get the roads cleared, plowed and well-salted. Once I get out of Missouri, there's nothing...and I will be very careful. I PROMISE!!

Why am I still going? Not because I am so desperate to see Dante. Not because I can't wait to get away from my children. But because I am tired of always settling for disappointment because obstacles get in the way. I have really been looking forward to this trip, and usually when I plan (and look forward to) something in advance it always falls through! (Remember my birthday?) Enough with that life! I have to make decisions for myself (as -ironically- my bff was just talking about doing in her life in that same conversation). Because honestly, if it's a bad decision I would have noone to blame or fault but myself, instead of wishing or regretting not following my own mind. My mind is telling me to be cautious and careful on the roads, don't rush, and make sure the car is highway worthy. That's what I'm listening to.

I'll let you know how WONDERFULLY things went when I get back.

No comments: