January 14, 2008

Finding My Mind

Interesting title huh?

Usually people talk about how they're losing they're mind. Yes...I am definitely in the "people" category...traditionally that is! But, in my 2008 Skyscraper Year, I have decided to find my mind again!

I have been bombarding myself with positive information and sermons regarding controlling the types of thoughts that I allow in my mind. You see...I have allowed for too long what has gone on in my mind. The enemy -over many, many years and through many different sources- has planted these negative seeds into the very fertile soil of my mind. And what happens to seeds when planted in good soil? That's right, they grow and flourish!
Boy did my mind have the right combination of ingredients for some of the best growing soil ever! If I could patent and mass-produce it, I would be a billionaire! I mean, my mind could take a negative thought like "What decent guy would want a woman with FOUR kids?"...and before you know it, there is an entire vineyard of negative thinking and self-sabotging thoughts where that one seed used to be!

You know what I'm talking about, don't you?? You've done it too, haven't you?? You can admit it, I understand. I've been there. Got the t-shirt, visor, tote bag, and 32-ounce sport bottle as "souvenirs"!

Those "mementos" have been thrown in the trash...figuratively speaking. I am done with a life of negativity. I have to control what my mind thinks and subsequently believes. In case you didn't know, what you believe is the "fruit" or the "tree" (or in my case, "vineyard") of the seeds that have been planted and allowed to grow in your mind. As with all seeds, it is not an overnight process...it takes a little while. But once those roots take hold, watch out! It's like a weed. If you don't get those roots out of there, the plant will just come back!

It is your choice...and it really takes some effort...as to what fruit your mind will bear. Positive or Negative - you be the judge. I will tell you a secret I learned and will be applying to help me with my struggle. If you are having self-deprecating thoughts about yourself and your worth, SPEAK UP! While the negative thoughts are trying to consume your mind, speak a positive affirmation or (better still) a bible verse out loud. You don't have to yell it from the rooftops, but it needs to be audible. What does this do, you ask? It stops the "stinkin thinkin" (as Joyce Meyer calls it) right in it's tracks. Once you have stopped the negative thought, your job is only half done. You have to replace it with a positive one. Otherwise, guess what will happen?
Yep, another negative thought will creep in to take that ones place.

Don't let this happen to you! Anymore!

As a disclaimer, if you catch yourself in the midst of full-on pity party for one, it's okay. Recognize that you are imperfect, that this new way of thinking will take a while, and don't beat yourself up about it. God doesn't berate you or belittle you the way you do yourself, does He? NO!!! So who are you greater than HE to do such awful things to one of His finest creations??

Ponder that for a while...there will be a pop quiz later!

ps. I haven't forgotten about the guys I mentioned the other day...their stories will come over the next few days, I promise!

No comments: