January 4, 2008

Kids are Back To School

Know what I thought about yesterday? That over the next two years, the last of my children will be going to Kindergarten. Champagne will start in the 08-09 school year (starts school late due to her November birthday). Bruzer will start the 09-10 school year. When Bruzer starts Kindergarten, DJ will be headed to middle school. I can't believe they're growing up! I just hope I am doing a good job with them. Getting them prepared for whatever they are to be in life.

I don't tell any of them what I think they should be or what I want them to be. What I do tell them is they can be anything they want to be...there is no limit. DJ wants to own his own restaurant. His father has a Master's Degree, and so I think he is feeling pretty good about himself lately. But, what I explained to DJ is that even though I don't have a degree (yet), it is important to get at the very least a Bachelor's. However, that piece of paper doesn't mean you are automatically smarter or better than someone who doesn't have it. I advised him that Bill Gates - one of the richest men in the world- dropped out of college.

I want to be in a better position to teach my kids not only about education, but about life. Not the "how to survive in the urban jungle" kind of life, but about business and credit and finances. Typically, black people don't teach our children that, cause we were never taught. I want more and better for this next generation that I am raising. I want them to realize that just because they throw credit cards at you in college, doesn't mean you have to take them. Funny thing about those credit card companies is they actually expect you to pay them back! I want them to be buying their first home in their mid to early twenties, not still renting in their mid-thirties.

In other words, I want them to be better than me.

No comments: