January 17, 2008

Guess Who Needs A Doctor?

Do you how not happy this makes me? I absolutely loathe going to the doctor! Usually, other than a yearly checkup, it goes something like this:

I make an appointment for something that's bothering me, but the appointment is in a week or two.
I get there, do the paperwork, then wait.....and wait....and wait until the nurse calls me back.
Don't get excited yet! All she's doing is taking my vitals and putting me in an exam room to (you guessed it) wait...and wait....
I awaken from my power nap when the doctor knocks on the door, and comes in so jovial and refreshed with the usual question: "How are you?" To which I answer: "Fine." (funny isn't it?)
So, he pokes and prods for a few minutes while I tell him what ails me. Then he says, "Well it's a virus, and it has to run its course"!

That's right! No meds prescribed for a virus! No nothing! So, why did I just waste 2 hours sick time from work!? I don't know either...which is why I don't usually go. Unless it is noticeably a problem, like when I had strep throat (big white splotches all over my throat, and hurt to swallow) or when the pain from my gallbladder was so bad I thought I was having a heart attack.

So what is my current ailment? A cough that sounds like I am about to kick the bucket every time I cough. Trying not to cough is as hard as the coughing itself. I almost hurt my back earlier coughing! And I sound like a frog on top of it! Luckily, it's better on the phones during the day, I have some semblance of a voice to talk to the clients.

So, begrudgingly...I will call tomorrow and see when they can get me in. Yeah, yeah, yeah...I'll let you know how it goes!!

1 comment:

Lisa Wheeler Milton said...

Better yet: they tell me to schedule a follow up appointment and after all the waiting and reading of EVERY THING 'til my eyes bleed, they ask me why I'm there.

Ack.

Hope you are better and feeling sprite in no time.