May 6, 2007

My thoughts about war in Iraq

I pulled up yahoo.com a few moments ago and, after seeing the box office smash of Spiderman 3 ($148 million), I noticed another title. 12 U.S. soldiers killed in Iraq

Here's the article link:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070506/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq

You know what? I skimmed the article, didn't read the whole thing. But this has gotten ridiculous! We have gotten ourselves into a mess. To merely pull out now would show signs of weakness and defeat to the terrorists and insurgents. But, to stay indefinitely would show stupidity to our own U.S. citizens. Or at least that's my opinion. We're fighting for someone else's "freedom" and we are hardly free ourselves.

Sorry, I don't buy the "Fighting the War on Terror" BS line George W. keeps spouting. The woman next to me at work does though, poor thing. She feels that as long as our soldiers are over there being killed and mamed (okay, my words not hers)fighting the terrorists, that she and her daughter will be safe here at home.

Whatever! I keep asking her does she realize that they are already here. Do you?

I say figure out a way to turn the control over to the Iraqi military within the next year through training. In the meantime, stop new deployments and re-deployments to the danger zone. Then, start bringing our people back to their families and their home. But unfortunately, we have gotten ourselves stuck between a rock and a hard place. Let's not forget who our "leader" is.

Can you tell I'm not a fan?

Meanwhile, they're still dying...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great article, appears that we need to have someone question our role in the United Nation. Why are we a part of this if they decline to support us in this deployment.

Speaking from 13 years of military experience. WE ARE NOT A PEACE KEEPING FORCE.

Bring those young children home. NOW

Solo-Mommy said...

We can blame that on the President as well. After 9/11, we had the entire world's sympathy, empathy, and support. IF the little man from Texas could have been a little more patient, we wouldn't be over there by ourselves. While the UN/Allied Nations wanted to come up with a plan of attack before jumping in feet first, "that man" told the rest of them basically "Screw you, I'll do this the way I wanna do it!" They backed off, and let the US try and run the rest of the world, like it always does.
And look where we are...