March 24, 2007

CD Review: Robin Thicke

 

Something a little different today, but I think this is worth the mention. First of all, I <heart> this CD!!! It is definitely some smooth R&B, grown folks music. Robin Thicke would fall into the so-called "blue-eyed soul" category of singers, since he is caucasian. Others considered on the "blue-eyed soul" list include Teena Marie, Michael McDonald, Jon B (of course!), Remy Shand, as well as many others. He is definitely in good company, I mean Jon B is on the list right?


Okay sidebar: Yes, I am absolutely weak for Jon B. The man's music is the soundtrack for my life. I do consider him one of my "babydaddys", though we never had any virtual children together. You're confused, so I'll explain. My oldest child, that's LL Cool J's virtual child. My oldest daughter, that's Brian McKnight's virtual child (color match and everything).The WonderTwins belong virtually to Dwayne Johnson, known better to his public as The Rock! So, in my virtual world, we'll say those are the ones I'd have kids with, but Jon B is the one I'd marry!!! Does it help that his B-Day is 2 days after mine?!

I know, I'm silly! But hey, it keeps me sane!


Back to The Evolution of Robin Thicke. I wondered about the last name and I looked it up. Yes, he is the son of TV dad, Alan Thicke. I thought they looked alike, but then I was like "Nah". I also discovered, this is his second CD. I hope he is around a long time, he is talented. The obvious track is #4, Lost Without U. Oh, it's a great song, but not the best on there to me. Lost Without You is smooth, the music is real (not synthesized), the vocals are clean and simple, and the lyrics are smart. The epitome of what good R&B should be for the serious appreciators of music. Track #1 is an upbeat duet with Faith Evans, Got To Be Down. It's a nice start to great collection, but since I'm into the "deeper" stuff, I skip past it a lot. Track #2, Complicated, reminds me of Can't Get Right/The One. Seriously, it's like he wrote it. It's got layered vocals -ala Seal- over very minimal instrumentals. Kind of a jazzy beat makes you tap your foot to it, so it's more of a mid-tempo number. I really like that one as a total package, beat and lyrics.


Track #3 is a mid-tempo with an acoustic guitar as the main -but not only- instrument, and his voice. Not one to skip. Track #5, Ask Myself, I really like, though I'm still trying to feel through it. It is not a love song I found out. "I gotta ask myself, what's it gonna be; Am I gonna save myself, what's it gonna be". Basically, it's a smartand upbeat song of inspiration, which I'm all for, so I love it! Track #6, All Night Long, is the first of two collaborations with Lil Wayne. Weird I thought too, but it works. This is an upbeat dance-at-the-club number, not in my top five but I do like it. Track #7, Everything I Can't Have, is a very upbeat Latin-inspired number, complete with the horns. Makes me wish I could salsa-dance!


Now we're coming up on my favorite grouping on the CD: Tracks 8-10. Teach U A Lesson, #8, is still more of a Latin-inspired to me because of the acoustic guitar melody. But the vocals are simple and pure. The lyrics are NOT pure! The Major told me about that song before I bought it. "You were late for school; I'm gonna have to see you after class; You've been a bad girl; Someone's gonna have to teach U a lesson" Hello?! Can anyone say freak! Trust me, not a bad thing...

Track #9, I Need Love, I love the vocals on this one. The melody of the music is so "black-light-basement-party-ish". The smart thing about the lyrics on this one though, is that he is talking about a really good...um...lovemaking session with the person he cares about. This is possibly my favorite song. The vocals are amazing and sensual and soothing. The music invokes every emotion it is supposed to, and easily gives you the lying in bed afterglow visual. I am absolutely in love with this song! I truly can't say enough about it. Completely the trio at #10 is the cut he did with my little skateboard nerd Pharrell, Wanna Love U Girl. (yes, I would do Pharrell, does that make a bad person?) This was produced by the Neptunes, need I say anymore. It's hot to death, and I blast it my sick little van whenever I can!


Track #11, Can U Believe, is a mid-tempo inspirational song too. Keyboard is more prevalent on this one, with some great vocals completing the package. Track #12, Shooter, is the second collaboration with Lil Wayne. For some strange reason, I like this song. I don't get it, but I like it. I think it's the heavy bass guitar, 70s kinda beat to it. Track #13, Cocaine, I don't listen to much. Probably least favorite of all. I think the title ruined it for me. Sorry Robin, the beat is cool.


The last three songs take up about 19 minutes between them, these are the really deep ones. They are great songs with wonderful musical arrangements and good lyrics, but I have to be in a mood to listen to them. They are more later in the evening reflective songs. Track #14, To The Sky, is vocal heavy, you can really appreciate his gift on that one. It could perhaps be a spiritual song, which is what I feel from listening to it. Track #15, Lonely World, is very pretty. It covers different people in different situations, and basically says "have hope". The last track, Angels, is over 8 minutes long. About half of that, though is just instrumental, very nice music.


Overall, I give this CD an A+. This man wrote everything on here, except Lil Wayne's verses. Save the Neptunes cut, he produced everything on here as well. That, my friends, is a real musician. If you appreciate good music and good vocals for intelligent adults, you will really enjoy this one too!

No comments: