March 15, 2007

Old Friends...Again

Day before yesterday, I was sitting on the couch with my laptop. I swear I was getting ready to work on my website.

Really, I was.

Why don’t you believe me?

A new IM window popped with a name I didn’t recognize. The person said hello and, being the snob I was, I was just getting ready to block them. But, they said ‘What’s going on Shaker?’. I’m staring at the screen with my mouth open thinking ‘No Way, it can’t be’. So, I replied ‘Who is this?’ To which they replied, ‘How many people call you Shaker?’

‘[Cody]!’

*okay, so Shaker. Yeah, my mom and her 20 jillion nicknames! He heard that one time and that was it from then on.

We chatted for over two hours. Just trying to catch up on the past 9 years . I hadn’t seen or talked to him since DJ was a baby, like 3 months old baby! We first met when I was like 19 or so, and dated for about a year and a half. He was cute, very physically fit, light-skinned, about 6’2”. We had a lot of fun together, my mom and grandmother really liked him. But, when it was time to go, it was time to go. I learned a lot at that time about how unfair the court system is to fathers. He had some baby-momma drama, or should I say “we” had it. Typical, one of those ‘I-can’t-be-with-you-so-you-can’t-see-your-child’ situations.

After we split, life went on. I got married, got pregnant, got left by my husband for another woman, you know…the usual! ( I am so kidding) I will never forget though, when I went into the hospital to have this very early child of mine. Very early, like water broke at 29 weeks and he was born at 30 instead of 40 weeks, early! But while I was in the hospital, just sitting and baking my little bun-in-the-oven, he would come and sit with me everyday. I think he stopped at my grandmother’s house and she told him what happened and where I was. He drove school buses at the time, so he had a hiatus during midday, that’s when he would come and sit. He was even at the hospital the day I delivered. We spent time together after I went home, before DJ even got out of the hospital (22days). I will never forget the most emotional sex of my young life. We both cried. I know, dramatic! Then I decided to split again, just had to move on I guess.

So, it was nice chatting with him and reminiscing. It was weird that he remembers so many vivid details about our time together. Cute though. Since I am trying to get a little more of a social life, I might have him take me to the movies or something just to hang out. But surely not a love connection, as every guy I talk to doesn’t have to be.

I know for sure that this is not the time for me to seriously date anyone. Quite frankly because if it was time, it would have happened. I think I may have a few years left before I am to be married again, which is starting to not be as horrific as I first thought.

Look how long I’ve done it so far? What’s a few more years?

I'm a soldier...I can handle it!!

No comments: