March 1, 2008

The Girls are Here!

They arrived safe and sound here at their new home. But of course we made a few stops first. They had to meet the family! We first stopped at Grandmother's, which they really need that break because they were meowing the entire ride from St. Charles. I left them in their carrier and tried to offer water, but they both turned it down. We stayed there a little while with Grandmother, then headed to the Officer's house. That's where Mom was.

My niece ran out so that she could see them. She knows her mother is nothing of a pet person beyond fish, so she definitely needs to live through other people! It had been a while since they had eaten, so I didn't want to take them in house and stay too long. Mom came outside and welcomed her new "granddaughters" to the family. They just stared, which beat the incessant meowing they were doing before.

We got them home and put food and bottled water in their bowls. Yes, bottled....I hear it's so much better for them sincec they are prone to such urinary tract issues. I opened the door to the pet carrier and after about a minute Isis came out and started sniffing around the kitchen and hallway. After about 15-20minutes I had to drag Eclipse out, just so she could eat something. After a little sniffing around the kitchen and hallway some more, they settled on the oddest place to huddle: the bathroom behind the toilet!

I was cooking dinner and watching the movie 'No Reservations' (very cute by the way). So after we ate and that went off, I couldn't take it anymore and took them out of the bathroom and closed the door! I hadn't even cleaned behind the toilet yet and I do have a 3 year old whose aim is still a little off sometimes! They found spots in the hallway to perch/hide. I told them goodnight later, then headed to bed.

I am still sick with coughing phlegm and runny/stopped up nose, so I was up and down all night. I usually sleep with my door closed, but I left it crack because I knew they'd be roaming eventually. I felt someone walk across the bed once of twice. I even looked at the door and saw Isis once, but as soon as I spoke to her she left. So, when I got up this morning I was determined to find them, because I wasn't able to do so last night. I know they didn't go upstairs because I looked last night. I knew they could only be somewhere in my room, since the door to the living room was closed and I had looked everywhere else downstairs. I got the flashlight and looked under my bed. Lo and behold! There they were at the very end!

It's an adjustment period for them, so it will take a while for them to get used to us and the house. But I think they will be happy here as well, knowing they don't always have to watch out for Merlin (the dog). Merlin wasn't mean to them or anything, they just didn't like him! I am glad this happened for them and for us.

No comments: