March 7, 2008

Happy Birthday Bruzer

At about 630a four years ago, I was pushing out a tiny little 6 pound early baby boy! He wanted to be very early and come at about 35weeks, but the doctors said "No, No, No" and we made him stay in for another week. Where was I? In the hospital on bedrest, of course! Both my boys made me hang in the hospital maternity ward for a week!

The one doctor wanted me to stay in the bed completely, but luckily the other doctor let me get up on a limited basis to shower and do other bathroom things. Whew! But I was constantly hooked up to the fetal monitor, so I definitely didn't have free reign! We had to coordinate my shower time with housekeeping, so they could change my linens while I was in the shower. Why the big deal? My water broke way too early! Once that sac is ruptured, infection can enter into the womb. That's what happened with DJ, which is why they had to induce me at only 30weeks along. With Bruzer, my sac kind of "re-sealed" itself, but they had to give me steroids to make sure his lungs were ready for the world. (yes! that was a 90s music reference, glad you noticed!)

One morning at about 420a, I woke up and called the nurse. I told her something was "not right". The entire time I was in there, they did not do a manual check to find out if I was dilated. This was primarily to keep the risk of infection to a minimum. I convinced this nurse that it was urgent enough that they really needed to check me. Guess who was fully dilated and effaced?!

For those of you that don't know, that means solo-mommy was ready to deliver....STAT!! In case I haven't told you, labor is not necessarily labor for me. There is very little pain in the whole dilation process (which is where most women begin pleading for their epidurals). The only discomfort is the actual delivery (ie, pushing big out of little) of the baby. Notice I said discomfort, not pain. That's all it ever was to me, thanks to the blessings of God.

Anyway, she began calling everybody at that point, because they knew the show was gonna happen quickly. They had to rush too, since they had moved me from the LDR bed (where the bottom half comes off) to a regular bed for more comfort during my stay. They now had to move me back...and fast! Everyone got there, I called my people, and not too much later Bruzer was born. Because of his early (ie preemie) status, he had his own little team of doctors attending to him. But he was fine...more than fine, he was PERFECT!

Now here we are, four years later. So much has changed in my life. So much has changed in theirs. But we are better and much stronger for it. The little 6 pound bundle of joy that was so small my friend didn't even see him laying next to me on the hospital bed? He is now a completely solid 44-45 pounder who can be sweet as sugar one minute and mean as a snake the next! I am blessed every day to know him and love him and call him my SON.

Happy Birthday Bruzer! Mommy loves you!

No comments: